On Episode 329 of The Waves of Tech, we compare and contrast the pricing found in the e-commerce business of Amazon Price and in the large retail Costco brick-and-mortar stores. Nintendo Switch is the newest hybrid game console featuring a docking station for home use and the option to travel with the system as a tablet. ZTO Express, the delivery and logistics firm based in China, is set to have a massive IPO but many are just as concerned as they are excited about the future of Chinese e-commerce. And finally, with dive into what is spooky and creepy of technology this Halloween season, including data hacks and loss of personal information. Enjoy the podcast and continue to ride…the waves of tech.
The battle between e-commerce and brick-and-mortar pricing is something that many of us look at when deciding to purchase goods and products. Business Insider compared compared prices between Costco and Amazon Prime to find out which retailer offers the best deals.
- Costco was cheaper than Amazon on 15 of the 16 items compared
- Overall, Costco was $500 cheaper than Amazon
- Costco can leverage their buyer power buy purchasing massive amounts of goods
- Amazon offers some of the items compared at more competitive prices in different package sizes
- Amazon Prime offers free two-day shipping on millions of items and includes free access to books, music, movies, and television shows
- Amazon offers a vast selection of brands and sizes for most items, whereas Costco offers only one or two brands for many products
Nintendo, the storied gaming company, has announced the released the Nintendo switch, a hybrid tablet-like portable console, which can be inserted into a docking station connected to a television for use as a home console and then detached for on-the-go gaming.
- Check out this cool Switch YouTube video
- We believe Switch to compete primarily with the tablet market rather than XBox and PS4
- The hybrid console is revolutionary in the gaming industry
- No pricing, touchscreen functionality, battery life, or game options have been announced
- Expect to see Switch on display and making headlines at CES 2017 in Las Vegas
ZTO Express (Alibaba delivery, IPO, $1.3B raised)
The newest logistics and delivery service on the block is China-based ZTO Express, which is set to announce their Initial Public Offering of $1.3 billion. Here are some details about the IPO.
- The largest IPO by a Chinese company in the U.S. since Alibaba in 2014
- ZTO is the second biggest delivery provider in China with 14 percent of the market
- 75% of their business is resulting from purchases made through Alibaba, which is causing concern for many investors
- China is the world’s largest market for delivery services, with total parcel volume of 20.7 billion in 2015, 1.5 times the total parcel volume of the United States
- Merchandise volume reached $609 billion in 2015, expected to increase to $1.46 trillion in 2020
- Do a quick search on BeenVerified.com to see if your new neighbors have any skeletons in their closet
- Kids should carry flashlights with fresh batteries so they are visible to cars
- Include reflector tape on the bottoms of shoes or on costumes for added protection
- If older kids are out with friends, stay in contact using messaging or phone calls
- Don’t forget to set your home security system before leaving for Halloween
Is technology becoming spooky and creepy?
Each year we hear of scary, creepy, and spooky tech stories that make our skin crawl. This could be things associated with identity fraud, health insurance scams, and data leaks. What makes our skin crawl?
- Our data is constantly being scammed, bought, sold, and traded to others
- Social media information is sold to advertisers, including online browsing habits and personal information (interests, likes, favorites)
- Leaked email and information from WikiLeaks and other major corporations
- Our inability to protect our own information because we can only control so much
- If hackers want the information, they can easily get it