A look back at the history, benefits and delivery methods of weather. Is weather reporting important to you?
Listen to the show to hear more!
• 650 B.C., the Babylonians try to predict weather changes based on the appearance of clouds
• 300 B.C., Chinese astronomers develop a yearly calendar divided into 24 festivals, each festival associated with a different type of weather
• 340 B.C., the Greek philosopher Aristotle wrote Meteorologica
• Galileo invents the thermometer in 1592
• 1960 the satellite TIROS 1 was launched. Meteorologists worldwide were ecstatic over the pictures of the Earth and its cloud cover that TIROS relayed.
The benefits to weather forecasting are endless. From farming, disaster preparedness to the sunny picnic day.
How we obtain weather information
• Aircraft weather stations
Last weeks Question:
Q: What is the substance in most lighters that causes the spark?
A: The patenting of Ferrocerium (often misidentified as flint) by Carl Auer von Welsbach in 1903 has made modern lighters possible. When scratched, it produces a large spark which is responsible for lighting the fuel of many lighters, and is suitably inexpensive for use in disposable items.
Flash Past Trivia Question
Q: What is AWOS?